Friday, 24 April 2026

Kamikaze Girls - Chapter 1

I started a small, two-person book club with a mutual on TikTok! I proposed to her that we read the book chapter by chapter (every time there’s a dropped capital) then we discuss the book and could compare it to the movie as well.

I'm really happy the English version was finally scanned and uploaded on the Internet Archive! Thank you kind stranger...I've wanted to read this for a very long time, and I'm interested in Novala Takemoto's other works too. More specifically Soleilnuit: For Becoming a Proper Young Lady and Emily (2002).

A story about a girl who loves Emily Temple Cute, you cannot tell me that’s not made for me...Novala gets me like no one else. The characters are also otaku nerds that struggle with bullying and worry about their future. I really wanna know more about their friendship

(Actually as I was writing this, via the Internet Archive I found website where someone has translated all the essays from Soleilnuit!)

She said she needs to do some studies so I'm not sure how often she will read and how much effort she'll put into this. We didn't set any expectations, I don't want to pressure her either.

I'd like to share my thoughts, quotes and notes for each chapter. I don't know how many there are. I’m really happy and excited to embark on this new journey!


24.4

Overall I find this chapter very inspiring, all the lines about choosing to do only what matters to you most, what pleases you.

Prizing elegance, sweet emotions, and fantasy more than morals and truth; wallowing in fleeting romance rather than trying to give meaning to life, when who knows what's going to happen to you anyway; ignoring virtue and conventions to cherish only the pleasures you are definitely experiencing now: this is the Cocoro of Rococo (a little pun in Japanese, if you please. Cocoro means “spirit”). Pg.7

I love the punk rock line, I agree being a lolita is totally punk, going by your own rules no matter what society thinks, and also the sustainable aspect/values of the subculture

And even if something is made just for laughs, if you find it pleasing, it has value. Other people’s opinions and labor do not figure into your assessment; choosing things with your own personal sense of “I like this, I don’t like that” is the ultimate individualism that sustains the very foundation of Rococo. Rococo, therefore, embodies the spirit of punk rock and anarchism more than any philosophy. Only in Rococo—elegant yet in bad taste, extravagant yet defiant and lawless—can I discover the meaning of life. pg.7

The line about a baby’s first laugh was funny but soon after she said that people often their forget their promise and start to follow societies rules when they’re older… that hit me.

[…] the baby thinks, if you're saying I have to live in this crazy world, I’ve got my own ideas. I won't kick up a big fuss now because that’s just embarrassing, but I will take the liberty of ignoring the rules for living quietly, and do whatever the hell I want.

[…]

Most people, however, forget that decision over time as they grow up. And before they know it, they are following all the rules and conventions they vowed to ignore. But there exists a small minority of people who do not forget the vow they made when they first laughed. Pg.7-8

I must’ve forgotten my vow when I was younger…hard. But I’m glad I’ve found my way back home. I want to be that small minority for the rest of my days!

Lolita is defined as a type of street fashion known only in Japan. But for me, Lolita goes far beyond fashion and serves as my unwavering, absolute personal policy. Pg.8

Amen!­­­­­­­­­­

Her talk about people in the Rococo period doing the nasty and it not being something shameful, just a part of (her description of) the rococo lifestyle, makes me think Momoko would be in support of ero lolita. She understands the substyle isn’t trying to sexualize lolita fashion in anyway. It’s just to allow people for more freedom and self-expression. This all aligns with her quotes from earlier.

Deeper into the night, you do the nasty. For people of the Rococo era, doing the nasty was not shameful, but more like a game, or even a kind of sport. Pg.10

Momoko’s romanticized and idealized version of the Rococo period is very entertaining. I wonder where she got all her information from? I think there’s some facts mixed in there alongside her daydreams and fantasies about the life of a noble in the Rococo period.

The whole time reading this chapter I thought to myself “she’s so funny” but Momoko is dead serious, this is her unwavering truth. I like exploring her mind like this, I really like her monologue in the movie and I’m super happy to be able to get more insight on her thoughts about the life of a lolita. I liked it when she briefly broke the 4th wall, I wonder if there’ll be more moments like these? (I hope so!)

I admire her philosophy. Momoko is such an interesting girl, and I want to be a little more like her.

 

Random notes:

I didn’t know Momoko wore corsets!

I also learned a new words: frivolous, disdain

No comments:

Post a Comment