Thursday, 21 May 2026

Kamikaze Girls - Chapter 2 and 3

I went to the library to continue reading the book yesterday (it’s been so long since chapter one…nearly a month!). I enjoyed it a lot and kept thinking to myself how much I love a small local library. It's a huge safe space of mine and I'm planning on going again today! It's good for me to dress up and go out daily when the weather is so nice...

I'll take my digicam with me I want to take some test footage to see how the videos on it look. I adjusted the settings once, but I was only indoors when I did that. I don't know how it looks outside. Let's find that out today! ^_^ 


20.5

Chapter 2

Momoko’s description of her coord was very interesting. I had to read it multiple times in order to fully envision what she was wearing. The dress sounded very much like the BABY’s Hawase doll OP, but she had some extra accessories on. I might try to draw novel-canon Momoko one day…

I completely agree with her line about Rocking horse shoes

“So aside from my shoes, which are Vivienne Westwood’s Rocking Horse Ballerinas and Lolita must-haves (they go with any Lolita outfit)” Pg. 12-13

Of course you can’t expect a movie to be perfectly accurate to a book but it’s really nice hearing more details about Momoko’s past before she moved to Shimotsuma (from Amagasaki. Pg. 14 ) and what she’s saying makes perfect sense since her father is now a former Yanki himself

Also interesting she already wore lolita fashion clothing before moving to Shimotsuma. Maybe I’m misremembering or just assumed she started sometime after moving. I’ll watch the movie and check this…It’s really nice to read about the lives of the people in Shimotsuma

Update: The timeline in the movie and the book are the same! Momoko discovered lolita fashion in high school when they were still living in Amagasaki

 

Random notes:

I learned new words: clad, “hick” town, hinterland, pastoral

Jane Marple and Milk mentioned!! <3

Rice paddies.

 

Chapter 3

He’d lay around drinking cheap liquor all day, and whenever he managed to scrape some cash together he’d either go to a pachinko parlor or the boat races, idling away his life in the typical loser manner. Pg. 19

KAIJICORE…

Maybe I am misremembering again but I thought the Loser started the counterfeit business himself (according to the movie) but in the book he’s a sub-contractor for the yakuza gang that expelled him (also I don’t remember him getting expelled? I thought he just quit cause he got really scared and realized this life isn’t for him anymore. I’m gonna check all of this when I get home...I’m currently at the library hehe). Pg.20-21

 

Update: He did indeed get expelled from the yakuza for embezzlement! And in the movie he did start the counterfeit business himself. They did mention him getting help then they completely cut off the rest of that, though we soon later see him working with someone from the yakuza but it’s under the same person that expelled him… the business relationship isn’t explained further than that

I like this quote and I agree with her

When great happiness unexpectedly swoops down on people, they suddenly turn into cowards. Snatching happiness takes a lot more courage than enduring unhappiness. Pg. 26

to reach Shimotsuma station on foot from my new residence—Grandmother’s house—takes thirty minutes (okay, twenty if you race-walk). For the students at my new school, this distance is absolutely normal. Pg. 33

To me too that is absolutely normal, Momoko girl you need to step up omg..

I am a Lolita, after all. When I go to school I wear a uniform, so riding a bicycle would not look all that unusual, but at all other times I am dressed as a Lolita, and going around on a bicycle like that, I feel, is in violation of the Lolita code. Pg 34

Ahh I laughed when she said that. I know for her rococo values, the thought of a lolita riding on a bike/bicycle is inconceivable but when I try to think about it, it’s not that bad…I’ve never rode a bike while reading lolita but as long as its one of those with a low top tube it shouldn’t be an issue. But honestly I’d rather walk too because I don’t wanna get all sweaty in my blouse especially if its brand

The lace edging of my petticoats and skirt got caught in the chain and smeared with grease, which never came off. Pg. 34

Hey so reading gave me a physical reaction. New fear added to the lolita list I’ll never get on a bike while in lo unless I'm wearing a SK (or a dress as a skirt)

The real reason I refuse is that no bicycle available for sale tickles my maidenly fancy. No matter how necessary or convenient something may be in terms of daily life, if it 1s not aesthetically pleasing to me, I cannot bring myself to buy it or own it. Pg.34

This is so Momoko! I relate to this partially. There have been some moments where I made sacrifices regarding something because it didn’t match my aesthetic or vision but most of the time I’d eventually give in and take the convenience route

I did discover one site for a place manufacturing and selling penny farthings that looked ridable, but it was in England so the site was—naturally enough—entirely in English and I couldn’t make out the purchasing instructions. So I was unable to buy one over the Internet as well. Pg. 35

AWW I FEEL SO BAD..I WOULDVE HELPED HER GET HER DREAM BICYCLE </3

 

Random notes:

Ah Momoko, I never get tired of you. I love this girl!


No comments:

Post a Comment