Thursday, 30 July 2026

Lolita 52 Challenge / day 10 / How I first found out about Lolita

I knew very vaguely about lolita fashion around 2020 just by being active on the internet, TikTok to be specific. The only thing I remember was people arguing about the name, to me it was always a fact that lolita fashion doesn’t come from the book, but I had never explored the fashion/subculture any deeper than that but I was intrigued by j-fashion in general (it’s exhausting that people STILL argue about it today)

Despite being an outsider I was still able to recognize the fashion. My first time seeing a lolita in real life was this black girl at a bus stop dressed in all pink. When I got off the bus I told her she looked really cute and asked what the style was called (just to strike up a small conversation), she called it coquette, I was 100% it was lolita, so I was really confused but didn’t push any further. Thinking back on it now, maybe she didn’t want to say “lolita” in fear of confusion

Anyways I think meeting a black girl fully embracing a kawaii style changed something in me and I hope by being myself, I too can inspire other black people to embrace their authentic selves and not be afraid to take part of alternative (and especially kawaii) spaces

In late 2024 I started getting into lolita fashion too and Angelic Pretty’s 2010 OTT sweet era is was inspired me the most, before I turned to old school (casual) sweet. The image on the right is one that really struck to me. OTT sweet isn’t my thing anymore but Starberry Parlour Tiered JSK (which used to be my dream dress) will always hold a spot in my heart

The image on the right is on that really stuck to me at the time. OTT sweet isn’t my thing anymore but Starberry ParlourTiered JSK (which used to be my dream dress) will always hold a spot in my heart

No comments:

Post a Comment